10.9.02

"Brother Down": Sam Roberts
It's a gorgeous day today and I can't even believe that it's September. It still feels like summer and that's not a bad thing, that's a GOOD thing. So I've already been through two days of classes and it still hasn't really hit me that I'm back in school. I don't know maybe I've been too busy making new friends and catching up with old ones that it still feels like I'm kind of on holiday. However, I'm very certain that feeling won't be lasting much longer. Oh well, c'est la vie!
I went to the Art Shack downtown and bought myself some canvases so that I can start painting as soon as possible. While I was buying school books this afternoon, I saw a flier that was advertising START - the student art gallery and they were asking for proposals to do exhibitions and I've been trying to figure out how to get an exhibition going so now that I know, I'm going to have to think up of a proposal. It's all so very exciting. I'll keep everyone updated and I'll let everyone know if my proposal got accepted (However if it doesn't get accepted, we'll pretend that this never happened).
:)

On an entirely different note I'd like to to discuss something else that has been on my mind quite a bit. Tomorrow is September 11th which means that it will be the anniversay of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. For many American's it was a day where absolutely everything changed and I think it's left an impact on Canadians such as myself because the attack proves how fragile our lives really are no matter where we live. From where I stand, the attacks that occured on 9/11 were attacks perpetrated by pure evil from a group who do not represent the God of Islam, because if they really did represent Allah, they would have never killed so many innocent people. These people had nothing to do with Al Quida or with the U.S. involvement in Israel, they were innocent people who did not deserve to die.

What disturbs me is that there are still people in this world that blame Islam. If Allah had told Mohammed to kill the Christians and the Jews, I'm sure he would have done it. However he didn't and the reason why he didn't is because Allah didn't tell Mohammed to do it. In just the same way that Allah didn't tell Osama Bin Laden to crash planes into buildings either. Now I admit I'm not Muslim, and I'm not an expert on Islam, but what I am certain of is that Islam did not kill anyone on September 11th. A religious extremist and his followers did it because they hate. That's all there is to it. They hate and they take advantage of religion and take peoples beliefs and use it for their own twisted cause.

Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance however the Bin Laden's of the world confuse the masses by saying they represent something when they really don't and they cause even more hate in a world that needs a lot less right now.

What sickens me is that this intolerence is everywhere. I used to think of Canada as a mosaic of different colours. Every individual person was a different colour and on our own we were just colours but put us all together and we made up a great nation. We made up the multiculturalist society of Canada. This country was different. People's race was not an issue, because everyone is looked at as a person and not as a colour or a religion. After learning of the recent violent protests at Concordia University in Montreal, I couldn't believe it. Of all the places in the world, it had to take place in my city. In my home town and in the school that I want to attend next year. Benjamin Netanyahu, the former Israeli prime minister was supposed to make a speech at the University however he had to cancel because the protests were getting out of hand. Palestinian and Jewish students clashed in a city that I thought promoted tolorance, and acceptance of other people. I just don't understand it and I don't think I ever will. I just hope that one day, sooner than later that things will get better. Maybe I'm an eternal optimist and maybe I have no clue as to what I'm saying but I hope for everyone's sake that I'm right.

Take care everyone.

No comments: