27.5.06

So Hostel was a dud. Sure it was creepy at times but the plot was lame and it never developed into anything really interesting. That and the fact that the only somewhat interesting character is killed off early on. Sorry if you haven't seen it yet but it's overhyped and definetely not worth it. I'm more of a fan of campy horror films like Scary Movie (the first two not the third), Gremlins, the Evil Dead trilogy, and so on. Maybe it's because I get a kick out of the ones that don't take themselves too seriously. Like I said in the previous post, I'm just waiting for Slither to come out on DVD.

In other news, I've learned that "Viewer Discretion is Advised", a short story of mine has been chosen to be included in the upcoming issue of The Gloaming, a new science-fiction magazine. My story deals with oversaturation of the media and our current obsession with pandemics. I'm quite proud of it.

I was recently having an interesting conversation with Josh about how science-fiction doesn't always get the respect it deserves especially when literary types dismiss the genre completely. It isn't all about robots and cyborgs but a way to explore our reality from, shall we say, a slightly different angle. It's a shame because writers like Kurt Vonnegut, George Orwell, Octavia E. Butler, and so on, have written some marvellous pieces that transcend the genre.

No comments: