5.3.06

Oscar Night

Hey! I received a nice surprise this afternoon. Maryn's flight from New York to Moncton transferred in Montreal so we got to spend a good three hours together before she went back to the maritimes. It was great to see her even if it was for a little while only. She showed me some postcards of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Yale and boy did it have me drooling. It was like looking at my idea of heaven! Music manuscripts written by Mozart, a selection of poetry broadsides from the 20th and 21st centuries, Walt Whitman's 1885 edition of Leaves of Grass, and much, much more. The library's oldest western work printed from moveable type is the Gutenberg Bible, produced by Johann Gutenberg in Mainz, Germany about 1454. There are thought to be only 22 editions of the book in existence. I know I could spend hours in that library and never get bored.

Changing the subject a bit, I'm looking forward to watching tonight's Academy Awards. In terms of the Best Picture award I'm rooting for Brokeback Mountain. I know it's gotten so much hype but I think it deserves all the kudos it's been getting. It will be tough because it's up against the likes of Capote, Crash, Good Night & Good Luck, and Munich. I haven't seen Good Night & Good Luck but out of the bunch I have seen, Brokeback is definitely the best. Let's hope Jon Stewart has some fun out there and makes it a funny and memorable evening.

More news:

Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame

Wanna see Leonard Cohen on TV? Tune in to CBC Television on Monday, March 6 at 9 pm for a special TV presentation of Words to Music: The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

To find out more information about the gala, check out their website: Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame

No comments: