31.3.05

TGIT

Good evening everyone and it seems like I'm going to have another fun literary weekend. I think it's official: I'm a flaming bibliophile. As Maryn's brother, Dan says, I "get my jollies off of books".

Tonight I went to see Centaur's production of Ted Hughes' Tales from Ovid and after reading an abysmal review in the Montreal Gazette, I was pleasantly surprised and entertained. The production value was impressive, there was a good mix of traditional representations of Ovid's stories and also some very odd yet clever interpretations, eg: Narcissus as a Latin rock star; dancing, masturbating pirates; and a phallusly (is that a word?) impressive Bacchus. Overall, a very enjoyable show.

This weekend I'm looking forward to some lectures by Alberto Manguel and George Elliott Clarke for the Blue Metropolis Festival. By the time Sunday rolls along, I will no longer be content with watching from the sidelines so I'll be performing at the Old Dublin Pub for Euphoricon: an evening of poetry. So if you're in the neighborhood, check it out!


Euphoricon:
an evening of poetry


featuring:

Nata Belza
David Bradford
Caitlin Brubacher
Michelle Dabrowski
Georgina Huyhn
Megan Irving
JindaLee Lehmann
Nick McArthur
Stephanie McBride-Durrell
Heather McClean
Dahlal Mohr-Elzeki
Daniel Sadowski
Greg Santos
Mary Shorten
Gillian Sze
Stéphanie Viel

and, your host, David McGimpsey

Sunday, April 3rd,
7:30 pm
The Old
Dublin Pub (Upstairs)
1219-A University St
(514) 861-4448

No comments: