24.10.11

October 24

It's hard to believe that it's been 14 years since my father passed away today. Being a father myself now, I can't help but think of him all the time. I miss you, Dad.

On this day, I often like to find a poem to help commemorate my father, but it's not always easy. Today my good friend Josh helped me make the decision a little easier when he sent me a lovely poem that I have never read before and would like to share it:


My Father by Yehuda Amichai


The memory of my father is wrapped up in 
white paper, like sandwiches taken for a day at work.


Just as a magician takes towers and rabbits 
out of his hat, he drew love from his small body,


and the rivers of his hands
overflowed with good deeds.

Thanks, Josh, for this gem. Thank you all for reading.

Posted in memory of Humberto Santos
April 4, 1944 - October 24, 1997

G

No comments: