4.2.08

Internet Cafe - McSorley's Bar it's not

Painting of McSorley's Bar, artist unknown

From 3 Quarks Daily:

Internet Cafe
Jim Culleny

where virtual folk
with cappucinos
gather at tables
like islands of stone
in zen gardens,
faces lit by laptops...


Read the complete poem, "Internet Cafe" by Jim Culleny here.

Besides the fact that I love going to McSorley's when I'm in NYC (you have to try their infamous cheese plate!), Culleny's poem got me thinking about the fact that so many of us spend our time on computers, communicating with friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - heck, I'm doing it right now on this Blog - over the internet.

Still, no matter how easy it is to stay in touch with people globally thanks to technology, all the Blogging, Facebooks, iPhones, MySpaces, Instant Messaging in the world cannot replace the real thing: human contact. Real face-to-face, messy, awkward, nerve-wracking, beautiful, human contact.

On that note, I think I'm going to go give my fiancee a hug.

No comments: