20.6.07

Poetry can learn a thing or two... from opera?

From Times Leader:

Now I can tell you for sure that it’s nearly impossible to make money selling poetry (see my job title below), but I am not willing to give in to that “dying art” label. Not yet, anyway. I think that Mr. Barr should take a lesson from Peter Gelb, general manager of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. If ever there was an art form more at risk than poetry, it’s opera – traditional or modern. Right? I mean, who goes to the opera?

But wait: Mr. Gelb makes a deal with Sirius Satellite Radio to carry four live performances, in season, per week. Live – in your living room. And when not live, Sirius is working its way through 75 years of live-on-tape from the Met’s famous Saturday afternoon radio broadcasts...

More here.

No comments: