24.12.06

Home for Christmas

I sent in my final essay this afternoon and am back in Montreal so I can finally say I'm officially on Christmas vacation. Maryn and I will both be celebrating the holidays with our families but before leaving New Haven we had an early Christmas together.

My family usually celebrates on Christmas Eve and hers on Christmas Day so we compromised and had our big supper on December 20th and then opened presents on the 21st.

Our big meal was eclectic but delicious: leek and potato soup, omelettes, figs with blue cheese, cherries, strawberries, tourron, and panettone.

Tourron and fruits

Figs with blue cheese

The next day we woke up bright and early, gathered around our little Christmas tree and opened our presents.

Santa or should I say, Maryn, was very generous this year! Presents include: a tiny zebra ornament (named Quilty), a funky vegetable brush (don't ask, I've been wanting one for a while), snazzy socks, Nobel award winner Orhan Pamuk's The White Castle (not to be confused with Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, the Thai Elephant Orchestra CD (Can elephants make music? Apparently yes they can. One of the most unusual yet coolest CDs I've ever had a chance to listen to), and the show stopper: Norman McLaren - The Master Edition Box Set.

To top it off I made churros, a Spanish fried-dough pastry snack for breakfast and here you can see us enjoying them with a piping hot cup of hot chocolate. Mmm-mmm. A perfect early Christmas.

Tomorrow, though, is the REAL Christmas Eve. I'll be helping my mom decorate the tree and in the evening will celebrate with the rest of the fam. Merry Christmas everyone, and Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Eva Karrin McKinnon said...

Merry Christmas to you, too, Greg (and Maryn!) Your gourmet food pics made me salivate. Happy Holidays & all the best in the New Year.

Anonymous said...

I love McLaren! What a cool gift.
Maybe I'll treat myself to a copy; I won a 50$ gift certificate from indigo and a 50% christmas gift from Amazon and I don't know what to do with them. Whenever I think of something to buy, my gut says: "you can get that at the library for free."