17.12.06

Dreadful Paris

I have a couple of papers left and an exam to finish before I head home for Christmas. It hasn't been too overwhelming but my schoolwork has kept me busy so it'll be nice to be home for the holiday.

In my last train ride between New Haven and New York, I started and finished reading Melissa A. Thompson's debut novel, Dreadful Paris. It's a small, beautiful book and one of the first published by Snare Books, a literary press started by Jon Paul Fiorentino and the late Robert Allen.

It centers around Ramona DeLottenville, the middle daughter of a matriarchal cosmetics empire,who, while struggling to make sense of her role in the family says things like, "I am the dull sister, the matte finish in a family of fine sparkling things."

When Ramona's grandmother threatens to disinherit her from a substantial fortune, Ramona is forced to either find something interesting to do with her life or find a photograph an old friend of hers stole when she was a teenager. Thus setting off a quest, making Ramona revisit her past and taking her from Canada to England.

It's a difficult novel to describe but Thompson is witty and writes in an addicting style one could call 'pseudo-Victorian' prose. I felt it could have been longer but I would still definitely recommend it if you're in the mood for a short read - it's only 122 pages.

No comments: