11.12.06

Bookishness in New York

Poet and funny guy David McGimpsey was in The Big Apple recently, touring some New York bookstores for The Globe and Mail's Travel section:

Nothing makes me happier than indulging in the city's literary sensibilities through a holiday book-buying spree, which I'm certain must end at a hotel where your purchases are spread out over the bed and, realizing you're not likely to read them all yourself, you concede to giving a few away as gifts.

With hundreds of bookstores large and small, NYC is unmatched in terms of volume. Many shops are devoted to literary niches — rare Asian books, for example, or comic books, or mystery books (at Murder Ink, get it?). In short, a roving bookworm like me feels right at home in the Big Apple...

Morningside Heights, around the campus of Columbia University, is my regular stomping ground and some of the bookstores McGimpsey writes about, like Labyrinth Books and Morningside Bookshop (where I happily discovered a book on guillotines for Maryn) are where you can often find me browsing for unusual finds.

Read Reading to New York by David McGimpsey.

No comments: