7.8.06

New Haven/New York

It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

For the times they are a-changin'.

-Bob Dylan


It's hard to believe that in less than two weeks I'll be moving to New Haven, Connecticut and taking classes at Columbia University in New York. This summer is zooming by at an alarming rate and it's been difficult to grasp all the changes that are happening, not only in my life but with others as well. I hosted a party this past weekend and invited a lot of friends; some I see all the time and others I haven't seen in a while.

I learnt that one of my former locker partners from CEGEP is engaged to be married, one of my friends I haven't seen in four years is going into massage therapy, another is going to be a dentist in a year, and an old friend might be moving to England. These nuggets of info coupled with the fact that I'm going to a wedding this upcoming Sunday makes me realize how many people my age are going through a transitional period: people are moving out of the city, getting engaged, getting married, finishing school, starting new jobs, and the list goes on.

I sometimes worry I'll lose touch with many of my friends after I move out but after having my party and seeing who ended up coming in the end, I know it's inevitable that some friendships will gradually disappear but I also know there are folks out there I will stay close with no matter what happens.

I just think it'll be weird when I have to update my profile and say, "Greg Santos is a writer from Montreal currently residing in New Haven, Connecticut."

Scary, eh? Or should I say, "huh"? No. I think I'll still stick to my Canuck roots and say eh, thank you very much.

No comments: