24.5.06

Exploring Montreal & Good Eats

I went to Parc Avenue and Van Horne looking for Bibliograph, Montreal's Zine Library and ended up doing a bit of walking. It was nice to wander around an area of Montreal I usually don't frequent. There were so many interesting stores and restaurants; it was like travelling to an entirely different city.

Eventually I wound up at the corner of St. Laurent and Rachel and stopped for a bite to eat at Patati Patata. I have always wanted to go in there but never had a chance. I sat by the window and did some people watching while I had a nice salad, homemade fries, and a grilled hotdog on a portugese bun. Now that's good eatin'.

I was also able to start reading John Stiles' new book of poetry, Creamsicle Stick Shivs (try to say that three times fast) which I'm reviewing for PoetryReviews.ca. I'm really digging how he plays with the dialect from Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley in the first section and I'm looking forward to going through the rest of the book.

After lunch I felt like buying some pasteis de nata (portuguese custard cakes) and pasteis de bacalhau (cod cakes). Ok, all this writing about food is making me hungry again. Time for dessert.

Bored? Twiddling your thumbs trying to figure out what to do? Well, there are two events going on tonight. Figuring out which one to go to will be the main challenge.

1) HAY FEVER

5 Mediums
2 Venues
1 Event

Starting at 8PM with:
Live painting and art installations auction
Spoken word
Dance

The Green Room (5386 St-Laurent)
Entry= by donation
- Get Sets
- The Irish Lys
- Carl Spidla

The Main Hall (5390 St-Laurent)
Entry = $5 before 10PM, $8 after
- The Carps
- Free Oxygen
- Mr. Nemo
- B. Green & DJ Sauce

A benefit for the Action Through Art Project

2) THE PERPETUL MOTION ROADSHOW

Bibliograph/e and No Media Kings present:
THE PERPETUAL MOTION ROADSHOW
Doors open at 7:30, performances start right at 8PM!
At Café Toc Toc (6091 Ave. du Parc)
Pay What You Can

With:
- low-fallutin' scribe EMERSON DAMERON from Chicago!
- poetic super-vixen TANIS RIDEOUT from Toronto!
- guitar slinging romantic SNOOVY from Toronto!
- local singer-songwriter TED STRAUSS!
- local wordsmith FIONA FOSTER!
- afterwards: Toc Toc DJs blow your mind!

For more info on the performers,
visit perpetualmotionroadshow.com

No comments: