26.4.06

Freedom smells like lemons

So I handed in my script today and am now completely finished all my assignments for Concordia, which means I'm free! Convocation doesn't take place until June so I have a bit of time to kill before I officially receive a diploma but once again, it sure feels good to be done.

Did you know that Leonard Cohen's new collection, The Book of Longing is finally in stores? It's been a while since "the ladies' man" has put out a book of poetry but did anyone else find it strange to see excerpts of his work in last weekend's National Post? When was the last time you saw a national newspaper print poetry, let alone fiction? If it wasn't Leonard Cohen, you wouldn't be seeing creative writing in the papers at all. There is a ray of light, however, in one of the most unlikeliest places: The Edmonton Journal.

The progressive paper was the first newspaper in the country to publish a graphic novel and the first to run a serialized novel, much like they did in Dickens' time. Now it turns out that they're commissioning several well-known Edmonton poets to write exclusively for the newspaper every month. Sweet!

Read more about it here: The Edmonton Journal's Poetry Project.

I'll be taking a short hiatus from blogging for a little while but check back in a week or so. Take care everyone.

No comments: