10.3.05

It seems that my previous post has touched a nerve and I'd like to make a few more points in regards to my position regarding the proposed strike. First of all I'd like to thank you for writing a response because I'm always open to hear other people's opinions. Not too big on the name calling, but I guess I'm guilty of that as well.

I understand the importance of bursaries to students who don't have the financial capabilities to go to school and our family has been giving money for many years to Concordia to help students out. I've walked in the Concordia shuffle on more than one occasion to help raise money for people who really need the support.

A concern I have is people thinking that the government should help pay for education because that money comes from taxpayers: the wealthy, the middle-class, and the lower-class alike. Why should someone trying to make ends meet have to help fund students when they need the money to live? I'd be willing to pay more for better facilities, resources, and professors rather than settle for second best. I'm not being selfish, I'm concerned about hard working people and lower income families who end up having to pay for students in the end.

No comments: